Halos Daily

Dedicated to bringing you top notch Angels analysis!

Who is Mike Trout?

February 6th, 2013

Trout Jeopardy

Don’t worry, I’m not fishing for any deeper meaning behind that question. No, that was the correct question on a Jeopardy! answer last night in the Teen Tournament (highly preferential to regular Jeopardy! because I feel smarter). None of the three contestants came up with the correct answer — er, question. And really, who has time for baseball when there are Emily Dickinson poems to read and periodic table flash cards to review?

Coincidentally, this isn’t even Trout’s biggest venture into pop culture this week, having already starred in a Subway Super Bowl commercial opposite Jared and that one guy from The Office. Such is the life of a newly christened baseball star.

Miguel Cabrera won MVP, but has he ever been a Jeopardy! answer? I doubt it. If I’m Trout, I’m texting Miggy on a daily basis, saying things like “This player struck out looking to end the 2012 World Series…who is you?” Or “This team last won the World Series seven years before I was born…who are the Detroit Tigers?” You get the idea.

Man, baseball really needs to start soon.

Comments

19 Comments

RSS
  • Jeff says on: February 6, 2013 at 11:32 am

The WBC should be here soon! Hopefully that will tide you over (and Albert will get some of his slow start out of the way).

Since there is some time to fill, I was wondering — is it just me, or does this year’s Angels team seem like a mirror image of the 2002 squad? Both teams have a well-rounded offense that can get on base, hit for power, and steal some bases. Both teams have several gold glove quality defenders. Both teams have an ace starting pitcher and then four average pitchers to fill up the rest of the rotation. And with our new additions this off-season, both teams seem to have a lights out bullpen.

• Andrew Karcher says on: February 6, 2013 at 11:41 am

That’s a good comparison. On paper, this team is probably more talented than the 2002 squad. It just remains to be seen if they have a similar sort of magic that team possessed, when everything just seemed to click at the right time. I don’t think this team will win 99 games, but between the slightly improved offense and marginally improved rotation/pen/depth (and the Astros moving to the division), the Angels seem like a decent bet to win at least 90. We’ll see, baseball has a funny way of screwing with expectations. Like last season.

• sleepy49er says on: February 6, 2013 at 9:09 pm

The 2002 team had a new manager named Scioscia who had passion and apparent love of winning. The newest version demonstrates no positive qualities of managing a baseball team. Scioscia’s inability to get the most out of his teams the past 3 years has shown an attitude of entitlement and a lack of caring. Check out the date of that 10 year contract he signed and see what the Angels have done since. ZIP! The 2013 season anticipation is a repeat of 2012. I have been an Angels fan for nearly 40 years but I can not get too excited as long as Scioscia has the controls. I can only hope, hope that the players will make the coach look good. Hope that IF the Angels fail again in 2013 that Arte sees the light and gets a new leader.

• Jeff says on: February 7, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Since we haven’t been in the playoffs for a while, it is easy to get frustrated. I like Scioscia’s style of managing. I like how he lets the starting pitchers go deep in the game and work out of the jams they get into. I like how we have Aybar leading the league in bunt singles, how we steal bases, and how we go first-to-third. I like how we send runners home from second on a base hit and challenge the outfielder to make a perfect throw to get our runner out.

The only strategy of Mike’s I don’t like to watch is the “contact play.” The one where we have a runner on third, our batter hits a sharp grounder to the left side of the infield, and our base runner on third sprints for home plate. I don’t like to watch this play because 9 times out of 10 the other team’s shortstop or third baseman throws our runner out at home.

• Jeff says on: February 7, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Are you guys going to do an article on Bobby Knoop? I heard he is going to coach for the Angels at spring training this year. I started watching the Angels when we had Jerry Remy at second base, so I never got to watch Knoop play, but from what I’ve read, he seems like he was the best defensive 2B the Angels have ever had.

• Andrew Karcher says on: February 7, 2013 at 12:55 pm

I can’t speak for the other guys but no, I hadn’t planned on writing anything. I never saw him play, but if he’s a defensive whiz hopefully he can teach Howie a thing or two (not that Howie is bad).

• Jeff says on: February 7, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Howie is a solid defensive second sacker. I would like someone to teach him what to do with those breaking balls away that send him walking back to the dugout, though. It seems like once Howie has two strikes, that is everyone’s strikeout pitch against him.

• Hudson Belinsky says on: February 7, 2013 at 1:39 pm

One of the few drawbacks of having a staff of handsome young dudes is that most of us can only read about the history of the club, rather than relay it. The guys at AngelsWin are better with the historical part; we mostly focus on contemporary analysis, with some recent history sprinkled in.

• Dubya19 says on: February 7, 2013 at 5:12 pm

The comparisons to the 2002 squad are laughable, if not outright pathetic. Sleepy49er has this team pegged. It’s likely 2012 redux. Rotation and bullpen quality are about on par with last year, in my opinion. The signing of Josh Hamilton looks good and makes the offense look a little better on paper, but trust me, with his streakiness, another year of wear (and decline) from Albert Pujols, and the loss of Torii Hunter (a 5-WAR player last year), this team isn’t nearly as strong as many Angels fans are making it out to be. The biggest source of optimism is Mike Trout and getting an extra 3-4 weeks out of him with a year of experience now under his belt. However, as high as he set the bar last year, don’t be surprised if there’s a little regression this year, something to the tune of .315/.380/.525 with, say, 30 HRs, 90 RBIs, and 40 SBs. Still very good numbers, mind you.

• Andrew Karcher says on: February 7, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I don’t see what was so “laughable” about comparing this unit to 2002. Is this team going to win 99 games? Probably not, but that also wasn’t Jeff’s point. His point was the team is going to depend on offense and a supposedly improved bullpen (the bullpen quality is on paper better than last year, so I differ with you there), much like 2002. Also like 2002 the rotation is rather thin after the #1 slot. This club will also likely play solid defense, particularly in the outfield; again, this compares with 2002. It was an innocent comment, nothing to get worked up about.

• Dubya19 says on: February 7, 2013 at 5:13 pm

I meant to add that I’d put the over/under on wins for the Angels in 2013 somewhere between 80 and 85.

• Andrew Karcher says on: February 7, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Shocking

• ParisB says on: February 7, 2013 at 7:46 pm

LOL @ Dubya. What a joker.

• Dubya19 says on: February 11, 2013 at 9:54 am

You can “laugh out loud” and dismiss me as a “joker” all you want, but I had a much better read on the 2012 squad than you did with your rose-tinged glasses.

Might wanna wait for a few predictions of yours to actually come true before wielding such hubris.

• Andrew Karcher says on: February 11, 2013 at 10:26 am

I didn’t realize it was a contest.

• Andrew Karcher says on: February 11, 2013 at 10:34 am

Also on July 13 you pegged the Angels to win 84 games. They won 89. Five is kind of a big difference, especially halfway through the season.

• Dubya19 says on: February 11, 2013 at 4:06 pm

84 wins (plus missing the playoffs) was also my preseason prediction, and I wanted to stick with that, come hell or high water. Contrast that with roughly 1/3 of ESPN’s baseball writers predicting the Angels as WS winners and a super-majority of Angels fans who thought winning 90 games was a “slam dunk” and winning 95 games and making the postseeason was at least “very likely,” and I don’t think I have anything to be ashamed of regarding my track record.

• Dubya19 says on: February 11, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Besides, Andrew, no real reason for you to get defensive. You’ve always been optimistic but within the bounds of reason/caution. Over the past year or so, Paris has never spoken of the Angels in a tone that didn’t suggest they were one of the three best teams in MLB. I can respect some optimism, but not blind homerism.

• sleepy49er says on: February 9, 2013 at 9:53 am

Pasch: ”Well, he went to three straight Final Fours. He hasn’t made the tournament the last three years. Has his time run out here in Westwood?”

Walton: “I’m not in charge. If I were, things would be different.”

Sounds like Scioscia and his fans still living in the past. Well Scioscia your time has ran out in Anaheim.